Friday, May 19, 2006

Jasmine Women Part I

I would really like to thank a hall friend for giving me a lift back just now after the movie. I was like quite lost after watching Jasmine Women at Plaza Singapura as I was watching it alone and thought I can get transport home easily but apparently I was wrong, there was only one option, taking cab. I was queuing for a cab when I suddenly met him and his girlfriend then they were nice enough to give me a lift. Really thank GOD for blessing me with the chance to meet them.

Anyway, I was supposed to watch this with someone, then a few days before yesterday he said he can't make it. I was already asking another friend if she wanted to watch it, and she was keen, then suddenly she suddenly remembered she had lessons on Thursdays so nevermind she also say cannot make it. I was thinking rather than find people and wait till the movie stops screening, I might as well go catch it first, so after dinner I went down to the cinema and caught the movie. It was nice though, didn't regret my choice to rush down to watch it although it started at about 10pm and by the time it ended it was already past midnight. It's quite fun watching movies alone though, you don't have to worry if others will enjoy it or people talking to you in the middle of the movie. I started watching movies alone when I asked that someone a few years ago to watch Lord of The Rings with me but he refused to watch it. I asked many times but he was quite firm in his decision so I gave up. However, a week later, he said that it was nice because his other friends asked him to watch and he just obliged. So much for the refusal to watch it. I still remembered it till this day although it was so long ago. Well, I really wonder if things are the same as last time. Anyhow, I was thinking of posting something on the movie here though as I thought it was a very nice movie.

The scene was set in Shanghai in 1937 and it started off with a girl(茉) and her mother living together and having this photo taking/developing shop. Life was peaceful and innocent till this guy(孟先生)came into the shop and asked 阿茉 to star in his movies. She then became a movie star and became very popular, but she slowly got involved with 孟先生 and later got pregnant. This is when the plot starts to develop. As a young girl, she didn't know how to deal with her pregnancy and after giving birth to her daughter (莉)she was like leaving her child to fend for herself and fortunately her mother was around to took care of 阿莉. At that time, her mother was having a boyfriend and this boyfriend had designs on 阿茉. One day he came over to do her hair and he started seducing her and they had some hanky panky in the living room when her mother suddenly came in and caught them in the act. Later her mother committed suicide and she was left alone with her daughter.

莉 grew up and looked exactly like her mother. However, she had the traits of 阿茉, being rather rebellious and didn't want to listen to 阿茉. She was studying and admired this guy who was a member of the political party and also a fellow school mate in school. He was from a worker class of family and she was very captivated by him. They dated and slowly got married. 阿茉 had already warned her against getting too close to him but she refused to listen and left home to stay with him and get married. Initially she was forcing herself to get used to the life of a working class where everything was crude. Time passed and she realised that she cannot take such a life and she decided to go home and told him to go live with her.

TBC...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home